Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Absolution

We forgive because we are forgiven. I don't think forgiveness is inherently in our human nature, but thanks to the gift of God we are able to show mercy to one another.

In the summer and fall of 2004 I worked as a TA and then as a lead teacher at Hyde Park Baptist Church's Child Development Center. I was 23 years old, in the middle of my master's work and not nearly as mature and capable as I thought I was.

I left in a most immature fashion and have been haunted by it for the past 3 years. Every time I thought about a career change or about working with kids I had to think back to my last conversation with the director. It wasn't a pleasant one.

Today the hauntings stop. Today I picked up the phone and apologized. Some people may think it's crazy to go back and apologize 3 years late....but I think an apology is one of those things that is better late than never.

I had no idea what to expect from the conversation. Ginny would have been completely within her rights to be cold, and even if she accepted my apology she didn't owe me anything. But that is not how she recieved me. She told me she appreciated my apology, and understood the stress of being a student. She engaged in conversation with me about my current status, and filled me in on the goings on at the CDC. She even encouraged me to stop by and say hello sometime. I don't know whether I will or not, but at least I know that if I do I will not be given a cold shoulder and shown the door.

Praise God for His forgiveness and mercy. Praise God for the fact that He gives us the ability to extend forgiveness and mercy to others in our lives.

If there is someone you need to ask forgiveness from or someone you need to extend forgiveness to I heartily encourage you to do it. Mulungu ni wambweno (God is good all the time).

No comments: